Freedom is never free.....

"It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds."-Samuel Adams

Friday, March 20, 2009

I Hope......

When President Reagan took his oath of office in 1981, we were in the throws of double digit inflation, unemployment, and interest rates. As that day unfolded, the hostages in Iran were released, and we, as an American people had high hopes that the next day would be a little better.
Inauguration Day is the day that epitomizes what our system of government is all about; the peaceful transition of power and the ageless ideal of “hope” that is and should be the envy of the rest of the world. “Hope” is a word that transcends all racial, economic, and religious barriers. “Hope” is a word that is synonymous with faith, anticipation, optimism, promise, expectations, and reward.
In 1981 we had the “expectation” that the new president would lift our spirits, and foster a new “optimism” that our economy would climb out of the gutter. We were in the midst of the Cold War, and we had “anticipated” that this could end under new leadership.
As we look forward to 2009, I hope that everyone in our great country, regardless of political leanings, gives President Obama a chance. It would be very hypocritical of me to suggest otherwise, because I truly believe that many of those that lean towards the left did not give W a fair shot, even after 911, when his approval ratings were off the charts. Being, perhaps, the only American left that admires and respects former President W, I hope history vindicates his policies and decisions.
I hope President Obama can coerce Mrs. Pelosi and Mr. Reid to work with the Republican minority to achieve real and lasting goals that will generate a positive economic environment. I hope we are not going to be taxed out of existence. I hope the free market survives and thrives even with the odds stacked against it.
I hope our young men and women in uniform can come home to the hugs and tears of joy instead of in a box. I hope we, as a country, can hold our heads high with the belief that something good can come out of all of the bloodshed in Iraq and Afghanistan.
I have never voted for a Democrat, ever. I hope that, four years from now, I have a reason to break precedence, and vote for and re-elect President Obama.
I hope the Mayans are wrong about December 21st, 2012.
I hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment